Shawn's Stuff

My life with the occasional political or sports talk.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Hello Stanley!

The Edmonton Oilers have made the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time since 1990.

This has been my most intense year as a hockey fan. For the first time Dad and I decided to get NHL Centre Ice so we could follow our teams every night. As an Oiler fan I never got to see more than 10 games a year. This year, I saw almost every game. It's a completely different thing. It's been a non stop roller coaster as a fan this year.

On top of that I found an online community of Oiler fans that helped me get to know the players and the fans at a level I never have before.

I'm a bigger Oiler fan today than I ever have been. So for this to happen this year, I'm just beyond thrilled. There were times it didn't even look like they'd make the playoffs. There were times this team was a disaster waiting to happen. However, they were BUILT for the post season. There are veterans on this team who know what it takes to win. There are young guys in this team with so much energy and speed. Every single player on that ice will do everything it takes to get a win. They block shots like nobody else in the NHL. Craig MacTavish has tought them that no matter who you are, you have to sacrifice yourself in order to win.

I love this hockey team.

I can't pretend to know how well we match up with either Carolina or Buffalo. The East and West teams didn't play much at all this season. It'll be hard to predict. However, I guarantee it'll be exciting. I also guarantee the Oilers will leave everything they have on the ice.

Hell, half the team was sick this series and they still gave it their all and won in 5.

Chris Pronger, what can you say about him? So many experts thought his game would suffer in the new look NHL. Instead he has thrived as a mature rock in our zone. Dwayne Roloson? Apparently a career backup who won't make enough of a difference. Apparently we over paid to get him. Don't think so now do they?

How many of you hockey fans an experts gave them a hope in hell? They did it anyway. Now I'll be cheering them on from halfway around the world in the arms of my beautiful, amazing girlfriend Amy. 5 days away!

I'll be back in time for AT LEAST Game 4 if not Game 3. Hey Buffalo, if you guys could win that'd be great.. I might be able to go to a game!

GO OILERS GO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home