Shawn's Stuff

My life with the occasional political or sports talk.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2006

I've been trying to avoid the typical traps of the new year.

It all started because it looked like I would have absolutely nothing to do for the big night itself. I had been seeing a girl and my plans were going to be with her, and that fell through. That's dating for you. It's interesting, I suspected dating here would be quite slow and frustrating. Dating is always somewhat frustrating I'm sure, but there are interesting women in my age range. I've found that I do quite enjoy the initial getting to know you stage. It took me a while to warm to it, and it'll take me even longer to really open myself to someone new, but I'm at least interested again.

Anyhow, after those plans fell through I kind of reminded myself how I've always felt New Year's Eve was an overhyped dissapointment. Every year people want it to be something more than it is. There are grand expectations of a huge party or life changing event that it never lives up to. I figured if I just try to live it like any other silly day it'll all be fine.

But then at the last minute I went skating for a bit at a New Year's event at our local rink, then I got invited out to a dance thing in a little place called Keady. I looked pretty good last night actually, and you don't often hear me saying that. So going through all those motions made me think about the year end.

At this time last year I was ringing in the New Year with Mom, Dad and Amy after my first three weeks in Owen Sound. I'd never lived anywhere but Ottawa my entire life. I was only a few days removed from missing my first family Christmas, and a couple weeks removed from missing my Grandmother's funeral. Needless to say it was a shock to the system and I was kind of numb to it all.

(I'll note here that this year's holidays was a tremendous treat. I'm planning to blog all about it when Mom and Dad send me the pictures. They came up and got a cottage in a nearby town so the whole family could be together. I was thrilled to spend a solid week with my family again - I miss the hell out of them.)

A year later I ring in 2007 with my friends Crystal and Ali (and several of their friends who I've only met briefly) from our sister station in Port Elgin. I've barely known them a month and a half, and I was otherwise in a room full of strangers. I've lived on my own for more than a year. I have a 6 month old puppy. I've seen my old friends from Ottawa that I love so much at most 2 or 3 times in that entire year. Oh, and I'm single after spending nearly 4 years with Amy.

I'm also making my first jump into the world of sports broadcasting that I've dreamed about ever since I was a kid doing play by play for my own baseball games in the backyard and hockey games in the street. I had no intention of winding up in front of a TV camera, but it's been an unexpected and fun surprise. I even got a chance to be in the broadcast booth for an OHL game televised live in my hometown while my friends watched. I have a regular gig that I feel I'm improving at every week. It's been a struggle at times as I have no training to do what I do there, but I hope my passion is carrying me.

Now as for the primary reason I moved here - I'm over a year into my on air radio career. The year mark is a very important one in radio. It instantly gives me substancially more credibility than I would have had even at 6-9 months. It means I stuck it out this long without quitting or being fired. I'm a professional now. I think it opens up more doors if I ever chose to leave, but it also gives me more credibility around the office I work in.

I say this a lot, but I'm much richer for the experience I've had here in Owen Sound. I don't get paid well, but I get paid in resume building. Our radio station is more devoted to local news coverage than most in this level of market, and it's given me a lot of opportunities. Instead of simply reading and writing the news I've also been able to report on municipal politics, federal elections, crimes (including a hostage situation), sports and some events that I'd never have learned a thing about if I wern't here. Think fish derbies and farm equipment fairs.

I've been able to participate as a host, "expert" pannelist and interviewer for both news and sports talk programs. That's something I've always seen as a goal and never thought I'd be able to participate in yet. A few times when we're short for a guest I get called in and can do things like spend 12 minutes talking about the Liberal leadership race or the kind of season the local hockey team is having. I love that stuff. I've even had a few interview segments that have received special praise by some people at work whose opinions mean a lot to me. I also may even get the chance to take a very active role on our sports talk show in the next few months. It's a great opportunity that I'm certainly excited about.

At this stage of my career I have to keep an eye on how much more I can learn and when is the appropriate time to move on. I believe there' s a lot more I can learn here. I also know it's not going to be my last stop. Maybe I'll feel like there's a lot more to learn elsewhere within 6 months, a year, 2 years... it's hard to say. I think it's important to keep my eyes and ears open for other opportunities and make sure I make an appropriate next move. That being said, I also think it's important I take advantage of the situation and varied opportunities I could have here to build my career and help improve the stations.

So looking back at the first year of my "real" career I'm quite happy with how far I've come. I have a ridiculous amount to work on, and I have to make sure I don't get complacent. I know there are things I need big improvement in. Still, I would call my time in Owen Sound thus far a success.

Socially may be another story. I kind of took that all for granted when I knew I had a girlfriend and friends elsewhere. It's time to make a real concerted effort to making and securing strong connections here if I'm going to be happy while I work on my career.

I would say making the proper next move in my career and improving my social situations are my biggest goals for 2007. We'll see how I do.

Oh, and for god's Shawn get in better shape. My endurance is pitiful.

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home