Shawn's Stuff

My life with the occasional political or sports talk.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Survivor Must Die

As pointed out by my friend Sarah on her blog, the new idea for this year's Survivor is amazing even for television. I put this into my news cast a few days ago even though we almost never cover entertainment. I felt it was worthy of public scorn.

Four teams divided along racial lines compete in a game of survival.

So if you stranded a team of blacks, whites, asians and spanish people on an island, which race would do a better job surviving? Are we really still at the point where asking this question could possibly be a form of entertainment?

I know reality TV kind of sinks to the lowest of the low. I expect that and I accept that. I'm the last person to give a big rant about the moral decay of modern media. Frankly, I want us to be free to do and say whatever we'd like. However, I do still maintain the right to call people on their bullshit offensive ideas. This is probably among the worst, hateful ideas for a television show I've ever heard. I'm hard pressed to think of one that would rank at the moment. Especially because it's so overt.

I don't take Survivor too seriously, but I'm still bothered by it enough to add my two cents here. I know I won't be watching it. I hope it's the lowest rated version yet. I'm sure it won't be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home