Shawn's Stuff

My life with the occasional political or sports talk.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Richard Gere Cares



I suppose I shouldn't have a problem with anyone speaking out on the need for more AIDS research and more care. However, what the hell does Richard Gere have to do with it?

"Well let me tell you, in my time acting as a man who slept with a prostitute I sure learned a lot about HIV and AIDS. Plus, there's an alarming number of gerbils with AIDS. Especially Tibetan gerbils!"

I think there's a very fine line between the good famous people can do getting the word out - and when we look to them as "experts" or sources on topics. Tell you what, lend your face and your time, but leave the rest to people who are, you know, actual experts.

Speaking of the AIDS conference in Toronto, I got the chance to interview the chair of a pre-conference among religious groups. One interesting thing to note is they were open minded on the subject of promoting condom use. She told me they were talking about an ABC strategy.

Abstenance
Being faithful to your partner
Condoms

I think the Jacksons should make a song about it. Well, maybe not the Jacksons...

She and others have given me the impression that HIV/AIDS has fallen off the radar. It was a hot topic in the early 90s. Magic Johnson had it! Women and straight men were getting AIDS. This was a serious problem!

And now? More people have AIDS than ever before, but apparently there are people out there who actually think we have cures for it. There's no sense of urgency involved. The bottom line here is that we control what the government cares about. If we make it a big issue, they'll do more. If we don't care as much, they won't care.

Obviously the Prime Minister doesn't think we care very much, he didn't even show up. Maybe he and other politicians need to hear a loud message that people do care, this does matter to us, and it's time to step up our contribution.

As long as I don't have to discuss it with Richard Gere.

3 Comments:

At 9:48 p.m., Blogger sarah said...

sadly the AIDS epidemic continues in poor African countries and thus the white governments with money don't care about it.

 
At 2:20 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm From Spain, I love Richard Gere,:P Love forever. Te Amo.

 
At 2:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

tkm richard gere,me gustas mucho, espero que algun dia leas esto, veo tus peliculas me gustan y me gustas mucho. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home