Shawn's Stuff

My life with the occasional political or sports talk.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

From Where I Sit article for Monday, October 30th 2006 by Shawn Mullin

As seen on www.radioowensound.com

It's Hallowe'en tomorrow - and when you want to talk about something scary try attending one of the all candidates meetings around Grey, Bruce and Simcoe.

So far they haven't been much of a treat - and I've been wishing it was just a trick.

But I don't really want to talk about the politicians. They're easy targets and everyone else is on top of them anyway.

I want to talk about the people who aren't ever held accountable. When the candidates say something stupid they hear about it or it ends up in the media. When we make a mistake believe me we'll hear about it.

But how about the average voter who steps up to that microphone - who is going to hold that person up to account?

Well I'm going to do my best right now, because what I've seen in a few meetings throughout our region has been absolutely shameful.

These meetings are ideally a discussion of policy and vision for municipalities - but good luck with that.

So far what I've seen is a parade of voters who have made up their minds and use what is supposed to be time for questions and debate to further their own agendas - or even worse, personally attack candidates.

I understand being passionate but there's a time and a place for everything. We get enough character assasination in politics without the electorate joining the pile on.

How often do we hear complaints about the tone of political campaigns - or about them not focusing enough on issues that matter to us?

Well think about that next time you're about to step up to the microphone. Are you helping further the discussion - or are you making things even worse?

From Where I Sit it's up to you to set the example - or you're getting exactly the kind of leadership you asked for.

I'm Shawn Mullin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home