Shawn's Stuff

My life with the occasional political or sports talk.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Pecking Order



In the style of Lowetide I start by saying... This is Theo Peckham. He's an Ontario Hockey League defenseman for the Owen Sound Attack. Peckham was also the second player picked in this year's NHL Entry Draft by the Edmonton Oilers. Peckham is a very solid, physical defenseman. I would say the best hope for Oiler fans is that he'll develop into a top 4 guy who can throw the body around and doesn't make many mistakes in his own zone. More realistically he'll be a bottom pairing defenseman or a guy right on the bubble.

This pick has seemingly provided me with a rare opportunity to follow an Edmonton Oilers prospect up close for at least a season. Here I am in Owen Sound, a member of the local media often involved with sports, and an Edmonton Oilers prospect right in my backyard.

The ideal scenario for me would've been to attend every Attack home game. What better way to do that than to be a part of the TV broadcast team on Rogers Television? Well, despite my efforts to prove my worth to them this summer as a part of their Lacrosse broadcast team, I seem to have fallen short. The new DJ at Mix (Rico) is getting the job hosting the broadcasts. It's one of those things I can't be too dissapointed about - he has previous experience in the job. Ah the old catch 22.

Actually given the circumstances I should be quite happy they've offered me a previously non-existant role as host for the Owen Sound Greys. I do the same Ron McLean like job, but for a Jr. B team instead. I am glad they kept me in mind, and am happy to be the backup for the host job. I love hockey, I love being part of sports broadcasts, I'd do it for free any day. However, it's a dissapointment. I didn't expect this all to happen for me so soon, it's just that I felt I was so close. That combined with a couple other recent work related dissapointments (darn Saturday and Sunday mornings...) have made this kind of a bummer month.

Still, shouldn't I think positively? I'm getting to be part of a television hockey broadcast. I should think about what I'm getting not what I could have had but didn't get. It's false to assume I'd have gotten the job if not for Rico. Rico is here, if not him maybe someone else, either way he is here and got the job out of merit. I certainly don't hold any negative feelings towards him. A nice guy Rico.

Stupid life - don't create expectations for me! If I had no expectations this would have been great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home