Shawn's Stuff

My life with the occasional political or sports talk.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Why I'm Here


An old friend of mine from middle school commented on my facebook profile picture yesterday. It's a picture of me broadcasting a hockey game. I'm going to re-post what he said here:

"Dude it's your dream! your DREAM !!!!!!! Remember from Grade 6? I'm so impressed"

I need to remember that. Not that I'm totally depressed about life here, but I get bored. It's evident enough by the fact that whenever I post or talk to people from home it comes up that I'm sick of my miniscule social life.

Well it's good to be reminded why I packed everything up and moved here. I've wanted to call hockey games since I can remember. It was my dream and I am getting to do it. How many people can say that? So in return for doing that I have to spend most nights alone... ok. I could be at home working in a government office. For me, that would be just as bad or worse. At least with the situation I'm in now I know that in time things will change, and when they do, I'll have built up experience in a job I love. Even if I don't get to do it for the rest of my career, I can say that I took the chance to follow my dream.

That's worth some alone time.

As soon as I get right with that reality, the more I'll be able to find more things to do and people to hang out with. Lets face it, if you're not confident and you're pushing it... well it's like hockey. If you're trying too hard to score, gripping that stick too tight, you're never going to get it. Once you just start playing your game and not worrying about the goals, that's when they start to happen.

The problem is it's really hard to lighten up... so it's great when someone helps take that weight off even if they didn't realize they were.

P.S. --- I don't HATE Castlegar or the Kootenays. It's gorgeous here. There's lots of great people. I respect so many people I've met through work and in other places. The problems I have here are more about the schedule I work and finding people to hang out with outside work. I could very much see me making a life for myself in BC. In a small town? Less likely, but still possible. It's more circumstances combined with my own stuff. Plus you know, fewer people around doesn't help all that.

1 Comments:

At 9:15 p.m., Blogger Loxy said...

I tagged you.

http://youareablog.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home